#knowyourfacts: health care billz

23 Million reflect's the House (i.e. our Congress) version of the GOP Health Care bill's number of citizens in danger of losing coverage... ***It passed and is now in the Senate's hands.

23 Million reflect's the House (i.e. our Congress) version of the GOP Health Care bill's number of citizens in danger of losing coverage... ***It passed and is now in the Senate's hands.

Let's face it, for many people, health care is their number one concern when it comes to politics - why? because at one time or another we all need it...sometimes from birth. What's more? Government Health Care is one of the Republican Party's (aka the GOP, which stands for 'Grand Old Party,' also known as the elephant) major goals - i.e. all that talk about repealing and replacing the ACA (aka Obamacare) w/ what they like to call the AHCA (aka Trumpcare.)

this shit is so confusing, here's a few major things to think about:

  • WEIRD- This bill is better designed than the House version, because it offers more help to older people who can't afford insurance while making coverage cheaper for young healthy people.
    • BUMMER: Buuuuuut, the bill bases its tax credits on lower-quality insurance. Essentially, these tax credits buy less health insurance...because the bill basically asks low- and middle-income Americans to spend significantly more for less coverage.
  • SHIT- ACHA would bar people from using tax credits to buy policies that pay for abortion and also block Planned Parenthood from getting any money from Medicaid.
  • HOLD UP- This bill limits government spending on the rest of the Medicaid program, this means each state will receive a set amount to spend per person rather than the insurance program’s currently open-ended funding commitment.
    • OUCH- That means if you are sick or injured and your bills go over your budgeted amount - you're fucked.
  • RICHIE RICH- This bill is literally designed to only help those making over $200K+ annual salary by reversing the ACA's tax increases on the wealthy. 
    • YIKES- According to the Census Bureau, 3,708,000 individuals earned more than $200,000 a year in 2014. (that is 1.5% of the population over the age of fifteen.) That means 322,766,013 Americans (i.e. the remaining 98.5%) that DON'T MAKE more than $200K annually in a place where in some way or another, this bill will affect them - not just the 22-24 million who may be kicked off. #notOK

 

what you can do:

Try not to freak the fuck out, stay calm and pull yourself and your phone phobia together. Then figure out who in the hell you know, including yourself, that may live in the states w/ swing or undecided representative votes. Head over to The 65 for an easy script and call.

They are your senators, and they need to hear from you.

  • Dean Heller*, R-Nebraska
  • Susan Collins, R-Maine
  • Bill Cassidy, R-Louisiana
  • Lisa Mukowkski, R-Alaska
  • Rob Portman, R-Ohio
  • Shelly Moore Capito, R-West Virginia
  • Ron Johnson, R-Wisconsin
  • Jeff Flake, R-Arizona
  • Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina
  • Corey Gardner, R-Colorado
  • Ted Cruz*, R-Texas
  • Rand Paul, R-Kentucky
  • Mike Lee, R-Utah

resources, because fuck fake news: