#knowyourfacts : climate change
The Pliocene, 5.3 to 2.6 million years ago,* was a time of global cooling after the warmer Miocene. The cooling and drying of the global environment may have contributed to the enormous spread of grasslands and savannas during this time.
KEY DETAIL: In the Pliocene era, temperatures were 3 degrees higher than our pre-industrial levels, so it gives us an insight into the three-degree world. Three degrees may be the “tipping point” where global warming could run out of control, leaving us powerless to intervene as planetary temperatures soar.
Things to think about:
- Weird fact: A shift of a single degree is barely perceptible to human skin, but it’s not human skin we’re talking about. It’s the planet; and an average increase of JUST one degree across its entire surface means huge changes in climatic extremes.
- Scary: It has been calculated that again, a single fucking degree increase would eliminate fresh water from a third of the world’s land surface by 2100!? Chance of avoiding one degree of global warming: ZERO. shit!
- Yikes: It is suggested, by real god damn genius scientists, that in human terms the effect on the planet will be like cutting off oxygen during an asthma attack.
- Three degrees would likely see increasing areas of the planet being rendered essentially uninhabitable by drought and heat.
Taken as a whole, the range of published evidence (that's easily googleable) indicates that the net damage costs of climate change are likely to be significant and to increase over time.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
You can and should find out where your representatives stand on climate change, because holding then accountable on environmental policies that support the future health of the earth will be vital for future generations & even ourselves in the next few decades! Go to www.house.gov/representatives/find/ NOW!
Resources, because fuck fake news:
'A degree by degree explanation of what will happen when the earth warms' by Global Warming, Our Future.
- 'What would 3 degrees mean?' by Climate Code Red